Anambra 2017: Obiano cries out over withdrawal of security details *They will be restored after election, says IGP

Posted by Grand News | 15 November 2017 | 1,194 times


Willie Obiano

Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano has alleged that the police have withdrawn his personal security details ahead of the gubernatorial election holding in the state on Saturday, November 18. The governor said he is worried about the credibility of the election due to the alleged withdrawal of his security details. The governor made the allegation at Prof Dora Akunyili Women Development Center, Awka, on Tuesday, November 14, during an interactive meeting organized by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for Stakeholders in the Anambra guber election.

The governor, who described the action by the police as worrisome as no reason was given, said his life is in danger. He noted that as a sitting Governor and Chief Executive Officer of the state, the move was unwarranted, calling for the immediate restoration of his entire paraphernalia of office. Governor Obiano who noted that no level of intimidation can stop the movement by Ndi Anambra to uphold their identity, said Anambra remains an APGA state and the party would not renege in its resolve to sustain good governance in the state.

Meanwhile, Ibrahim Idris, the inspector-general of police, says the withdrawal of the security aides attached to Anambra governor Willie Obiano was to prevent the re-occurrence of past elections. Idris gave the explanation during election stakeholders’ forum organised by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Tuesday in Awka.

Obiano had during the forum raised the alarm that he woke up on Tuesday morning to find that his ADC had been directed by the police high command to vacate him. He said the directive had put his life in danger, describing the act as an unacceptable and unfair treatment to his person and office. The governor noted that his standing for re-election did not remove the fact that he was the chief security officer of the state.

But the IGP said the withdrawal was based on the previous experience whereby the military caught an ADC to an unnamed governor escorting a vehicle loaded with arms on election day. “We do not mean anything bad to Anambra governor on this action; his ADC will be returned to him early Sunday morning after the governorship election on Saturday Nov.18. We have equally withdrawn all the policemen attached to political appointees, Local Government Chairmen and others in Anambra till after the election,” he said. Idris also said the police force had deployed 26, 000 personnel, 300 vehicles, three helicopters and 15 gunboats for the poll


Source: Grand News

Readers Comments

comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...