Asaba Masacre: Indigenes recall sad experience, warn IPOB against drums of war

Posted by Grand News | 3 October 2017


Obi Prof. Joseph Chike Edozien, CFR, JP, the Asagba of Asaba

Indigenes of Ahaba, otherwise known as “Asaba”  have condemned  the

1967  Massacre of the people during the 1967 civil was in a symbolic

50 year remembrance of the sad event , warning the Indigenous People

of Biafra (IPOB) against drums of war.

The Asagba of Asaba, Obi Chike Edozien who spoke to journalists in

Asaba, last week on the need for peaceful coexistence among Nigerian

people, lamented that Asaba Massacre by Nigerian troops has remained

an indelible wound they are still battling to heal.  He said that the

Asaba Massacre by Nigerian troops where many innocent Asaba sons and

daughters were killed in cold blood on October 7, 1967, was

unfortunate, pathetic and devastating. He  maintained that the sad

event would remain in the history of the town and her people.  The

Monarch who spoke through the Iyase of Asaba, Chief Patrick Onyeobi,

regretted the sad and pathetic event, saying that it was the height of

injustice to kill the innocent and peace loving people of Asaba.

According to him, “we the people of Asaba kingdom have decided to

collectively come out and tell the world the story of our unfortunate,

sad and tragic experience of 50 years ago which has left many of our

people traumatized, we are telling the story because we dearly love

our country, Nigeria and we want it to remain united and indivisible.”

 The Monarch averred that “we will not like the same mistakes that led

us to the unfortunate Nigeria Civil War (1967 – 1970) which produced

the Asaba Massacre of October 7, 1967 to be repeated so that history

does not condemn us” particularly the present generation of our

Country as history has done the Bourbons of France whose history

recorded as having learnt nothing, forgotten nothing and mastered

nothing on their history, we must strive to evolve a system of justice

that guarantees justice to all justice.”  The Asagba however solicited

the support of the global community toward the realization of the

goals of Asaba October 7, 1967 Massacre, disclosing that memorial

programme which would be formerly rolled out in the next few days

would be a constant reminder to the people and the world of the

futility of wars and the need for justice for all.  He said “Nigerian

soldiers came to Nigerian territories and killed Nigerian Citizens”

adding that “we carry a tragic memory but we want to move forward and

we will never forget the sad incident disclosing that a monument will

be erected in memory of the dead as well as a hospital to be called

“My Place of Birth Hospital, Asaba.


Source: Grand News

Readers Comments

comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...