Cholera kills 61 in Yobe, 50 hospitalised

Posted by Grand News | 22 September 2018 | 1,158 times


Prof. Isaac Adewoye, Minister of Health.

61 lives have been claimed so far by Cholera outbreak in Yobe State with 50 others hospitalised, less than three months after the state was declared free from the menace of the disease.

Confirming the resurgence of disease in the state, Yobe State  commissioner of Health, Dr Muhammad Bello Kawuwa in  a press release made available to newsmen on Friday,  in Damaturu, said  laboratory tests have  verified some cases of  Acute Watery Diarrhea (AWD) as being caused by Vibrio bacterae, the bacteria that causes cholera.

Dr Kawuwa said  a total of 906 cases of the AWD has been recorded from July to September 17, 2018 in five (5) local government areas of Gujba, Gulani, Damaturu, Fune, Potiskum and Nangere.

He attributed the huge death toll to delay in reporting the cases especially from the rural areas.

“As a result, over 795 patients were successfully treated and discharged, 50 are still on admission in various health facilities across the state. Unfortunately, we lost 61 patients mainly due to delays in timely reporting to the healthcare facilities for life saving treatment.

“It pains us so much that the state has lost its dear sons and daughters. We assure all citizens that we will try our best to preserve their lives”, he said.

He explained that the state ministry of health, in collaboration with  World Health Organisation (WHO), are  working tirelessly  with laboratories in the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital and Nigeria Center for Disease control (NCDC) Abuja, to verify the cause of the AWD outbreak.

(Daily Trust)


Source: Grand News

Readers Comments

comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...